Monday 27 February 2012

Learning to Sew???....

Some friends of mine have asked me to write a post about learning to sew. I myself was taught the basics from my mother, and the rest I learnt as I went along (with a lot of mistakes!!!!) I first started sewing clothing pieces when I was in high school, I never used a pattern as I find them really hard to understand most of the time!…..but at the time I really enjoyed the experimental process of seeing what worked & what didn’t.

Since sewing clothing I have moved into a love of quilts. My mother was a quilter, both my grandmothers are & a number of my Aunties are also in the quilting “business” so to speak. I become more interested in quilting as I got older & found there were plentiful babies coming into the world around me that I could sew beautiful quilts for, I made them as home made gifts which mum & bub can treasure forever. My quilts are not “fancy” in anyway, I believe in plain, simple & wholesome design & I know if I attempted a more difficult quilt with intricate patterns & designs I would never get it finished! So all my quilts are basically just squares or triangles! Very easy but just as beautiful in my opinion! Anyone can do it!

My first quilts were a bit of a mess, again I took on the notion that I will just sew it on my own without learning the basics & I’m sure I can figure it out!!….because I didn’t learn the basics I found them more difficult then I thought & I did things the long & hard way with the results being very “home made” looking……Then I found a beautiful book on quilting & decided to just read the basics! Sure enough I found AMAZING easier ways of doing things which made MUCH better sense then the way I was doing it!! So it really does pay to learn the basics & do find books or online tutorial’s on the things you want to make!! There are so many things online for you to discover and plenty of websites & blogs willing to give out easy instructions & patterns.

I just did a bit of research to see what sewing blogs I could find that might help beginners. These are my favourites:


The in's & out's of basic sewing

Very cute blog filled with tutorials, crafts for kids, & some great links to fabrics sites!
Also check out their top 100 tutorials! SO many fun things in HERE!

Has some great little projects for beginner sewers on here

Or if you are more of a book person try these:



This is the book I read when I started making quilts, really inspirational!




No comments:

Post a Comment